Systems Engineer Team Lead
Systems Engineer Team Lead
Location: Malvern, West Midlands (hybrid working)
Our client is a well-established world leader in the design and manufacture of high-tech, scientific instrumentation, with a track record of continued profitable growth and a Global footprint. They’re employing the latest, most cutting edge scientific and technological developments both in their own ways of working and within their product range.
They’re investing heavily in their teams, constantly improving the tools they use, the systems and in growing their team by appointing subject matter experts and then supporting their growth and development as professionals.
As part of their growth, they now seek to appoint a new Systems Engineer Team Lead. This will be a progressive role withing their large R&D team, offering significant opportunity for ongoing career development.
This is a leadership role and, whilst you will be technically strong, utilising your Systems Engineering skills, more than 50% of your time will be spent developing, mentoring and leading your team.
The role purpose -
To provide leadership to a team of Systems Engineers and influence the direction of new product development. The role will manage, nurture, and grow a team of Systems Engineers working across various development projects. Directly and indirectly, this role delivers effective architectural design, system and subsystem definition, verification and validation, and integration activities, thereby contributing significantly to a range of products.
- Lead your team and identify development opportunities and co-create development plans with your direct reports.
- Work to increase team engagement and champion change where required.
- Coach and mentor team members.
- Conduct succession planning by identifying skills gaps and promotion opportunities.
- Lead the recruitment of new team members, develop a talent pipeline into the systems engineering team by championing the company internship and STEM programmes.
- Network across the systems engineering teams globally, and into other groups within R&D, such as the Technology Scouting Unit (TSU) group, and the Platform Engineering group.
The following responsibilities will be delivered via direct contribution to R&D projects:
- Conduct the architectural design of new products, create system diagrams and solution specifications to guide the development team and adjacent stakeholder groups.
- Understand customer requirements including the nature of the customer measurement application and how this relates to the overall instrument system capability.
- Work with the development team to translate user requirements into unambiguous, traceable, and testable functional specifications. Capture all relevant non-functional requirements, such as reliability, serviceability, and regulatory product needs.
- Play a key role in the integration of subsystems and components, perform diagnostics, manage trade-offs, and lead problem-solving as necessary.
- Support the cross-functional use of systems engineering tools, such as FMEA and DfX reviews.
Skills & Experience
- Experience as a line manager or team leader.
- Demonstrated history of mentoring junior team members and knowledge of mentoring / coaching frameworks.
- A minimum of 5+ years’ experience in a product development environment with specific expertise developing real-time systems, metrology devices, or imaging systems, and / or related subsystems.
- Experience of system level design and architecture.
- Excellent problem-solving ability and analytical skills. The ability to solve complex systems problems using a combination of sound experimental technique and good analytical understanding is of particular importance at this level.
- Able to write computer programmes to model systems, particularly in MATLAB, Python, C++ or C#.
- Experience of agile working, particularly in hardware development environments.
- Comfortable presenting complex arguments simply, both written and orally.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic and forward-thinking team that is well funded and highly motivated. If you’re interested in hearing more about it, please apply now with your CV for immediate review.